cosmicblog

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

soy uniqua

hope i spelled that right. I have been discovering for myself the depth of the shame I have felt toward myself through this past lenten practice and Easter week. I feel less anticipatory tensions and more relaxed as though I have come through something difficult but in the end it lightens the burden. Because I have. It's been lovingly pointed out that I find my condition as an only child to be something that I refer to in negative or shaming language and understanding that to hear of the concept in spanish it eases some of the shame attached to being an only. soy uniqua. I am one of a kind. Sounds much better to my ears than what is implied or openly expressed by my very existence in this culture. It is still a pitiable condition in other places but at least it is held with kindness toward me. In Latin American cultures I am regarded sadly because I am childless as well as clearly past the age of child bearing but again they are usually a gentle people. But saying "I am one of a kind" in Spanish helps to heal the " You must have been spoiled or you must be spoiled" or some other derogatory remark. One of my personal favorites is " I don't want my child to be an only child that would be horrible for them etc etc..." knowing that I am an only. It was also pointed out to me that these remarks here in this culture could be envy driven. Much to think about as the journey continues. Next Up: Peru.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:36 AM, Blogger ShelleyL said…

    In some ways we are all 'soy uniqua', I believe. At least you have substantial reasoning behind it. I am the eldest of three and yet feel completely detached from the younger two in many many ways and have for quite some time. In many ways it would have(and still may be) easier to have been an only child. Less stressful to say the least.
    This world would be a much better place if there were more 'one of a kinds' such as yourself. The concept of being an only and that of not having given birth to any of your own may sound (and yes, in some cultures, is looked upon) as being a sad thing. However, in my eyes, I look to see what a person has done with their lives. If 'an only' were to have been in the past and continues to be a selfish person, I would think that were sad. If that'only' were a selfless person though that would turn that into a blessing that God has graced the world with. And yes, envy, and nothing else....has been behind my spewing those words about being spoiled in the past! LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home