cosmicblog

Friday, August 31, 2007

divine irony

I had the historic opportunity to meet and photograph the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in the US. She is Katharine Jeffords Schorri and she was elected in 2006 and serves one, 9 year term. She has journied to Erie to meet with our diocese and ultimately consecrate Sean Rowe as the youngest Bishop in the Episcopal Church, on the planet. He is 32 years old. A remarkable feat by a somewhat democratic election process. If organized religion is to survive it really needs moments like this.

The divine irony is the reconciliation of a long and personal journey with religion, god, spirituality. You know, the easy stuff!! Had Roman Catholicism not been the HUGE presence that it was then this last 33 years would have been much different. I minimized the effect, perhaps, on my acts of rebellion but they had profound effects on people I loved especially my father. I am grateful he lived to see me find a spiritual home somewhere. The Episcopal Church was founded out of rebellion from the papacy so that makes perfect sense for the fit in my lifestyle. Will I always question?, Yes. Will I always wrestle with doubt? Yes. It's who I am.
Do I feel less the heretic and more at peace? yes...for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home