cosmicblog

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

tickling the ivories

There it sat, collecting dust and taunting me with past memories. Its not a real piano but after nearly 30 years its good enough. After staring at this for 2 months I finally sat down yesterday to see what my brain could remember. I wasn't hoping for much but was proudly surprised by what happened next.
I thought I would start with the scales, afterall isn't that what a good teacher would have me do? But then again, I guess I am 45 and can start anywhere I want to and I wanted to make music. So, out came Beethoven. What better way to make melody then with "Fur Elise" and " Ode to Joy"? As those dusty parts of my brain sputtered to life I could "feel" my brain breakup the logjam. Movement. Inside my brain. And since anything worth doing is worth overdoing, the sheet music has been printed and the fun is on...
I have to attribute this with much gratitude to the people in my life who have reintroduced me to music again in all its glory. "This is your brain on music" is an inspiring book for me and was my first step on this journey. April, thank you for your gift of the keyboard, I'll do you proud.
Thanks to those who come after me for wanting to share with me their gift of their love for music, its most inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home