cosmicblog

Sunday, March 04, 2007

The hypothetical

...an assumption or conclusion made for the sake of argument. An interpretation of a practical situation or condition taken as the grounds for action.
Somehow along time ago I was designated this conduit of information, the keeper of secrets, the weaver of stories. I keep secrets in a good way and expose ugly when I can. The key is knowing how and when to do it. That's where the hypothetical comes in handy.
Because of my insatiable need to experience people's lives the way they live them, I often encounter struggling people in struggling situations. Here's an interesting hypothetical as a result of one such relationship. "hypothethically" I know people who risk life and limb to come to this country to earn a liveable wage that is typically sent home for use by the families. There are exceptions to all the rules and some of the young ones do succumb to the easier money but most just work. Well, my hypothetial friend's story needs to be told because he can't tell it and I feel the drive to do just that.
After a 1/2 dozen years of working jobs few American workers will tolerate due to health conerns ( High density painting and working with other toxic materials) my hypothetical friend has a hypothetical employer who is being hypothetically subcontracted by the US military to paint US military installations, hypothetically in this case Fort "Knox". So inside the hypothetical military installation they go. At least 6 are here in this country illegally, without papers and they spend at least 12 hours (min day work) painting the inside of this hypothetical
military barracks. My hypothetical friend thought better of the next days assignment and went back to another job site.
I know this isn't woodward and bernstein stuff but I feel compelled to put it out there for people to read. For people to see that its just one story in a whole host of stories that needs to be told for people who have no voice for themselves. Isn't that why we keep watch.? Some of us are just better able to be heard or better able to take action. As long as I feel the calling of the conduit, I'll write.
Followup on the military and the enlistment of the illegal immigrants with the knowledge and cooperation of the Pentagon. Its a fascinating story...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home