cosmicblog

Sunday, March 20, 2005

7,000 lbs of Jesus

Palm Sunday
Mass began at 7am not sure when it ended.
The call of the faithful went out again around 11am and people began to assemble for the Palm Sunday Procession that will continue through Antigua until midnight tonite. First a carpet of sawdust is put down to level out the cobblestones and the stencils are placed and colored sawdust is layered painstakingly . In some places pine needles are used instead. As I write this they are preparing the street for the procession to pass. Teams of 80 men all the same height (they are measured) lift the wooden platforms and sway in cadence as Jesus with the cross passes. I'm unclear as to why it looks more like a Good Friday scene than the arrival of Jesus in Jerusalem but then I am pretty much unclear about most of this here. We were treated once again when the procession passed our pasado. Got some great shots from the balcony.
The deep reverence is felt to the core with these people. The title of this blog refers to the total wt of the wooden platform carrying Jesus and his cross.
Women carry the platform with Mary and a figure they refer to "Santisima Veronica" which means essentially that this Veronica is very special, thus the isima on the end of the Santa. I lack information on who Veronica is and as usual here in Guat if you ask 10 people you get 10 different stories.
The stories of the pickpockets are true. My bag was slashed in the main square but nothing came out,. thank God. The vulnerability remains and reminds me to ramp up my vigilance. Antigua itself is amazing but we plan on a side trip on several occasions to get away from the touristas.
The heart and soul of these people helps me to become transparent and suspend my gringa identity, if that makes any sense. I am truly just being.
Hasta Manana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home